Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

PNE 2 Huddersfield Town 0

13 August 2012

Debut goals from Jack King and Nicky Wroe put North End into round two of the Capital One Cup against Simon Grayson's Championship Huddersfield.

It was an impressive start to the season as North End came out all guns blazing against the 2012 League One Play-Off winners in front of a boisterous Deepdale crowd.

In a blistering first half display Jack King and Nicky Wroe opened the 2012/13 campaign in fine style as the new look North End tore into their newly promoted opponents.

It was King who opened his and PNE’s account with a back post header from Jeffrey Monakana’s deep cross just before the half hour mark, before Wroe added a second with five minutes to go in the half after fantastic forward play by Chris Beardsley, who controlled Keith Keane’s quickly take throw in and held off two defenders before putting the ball on a plate for his team-mate.

Graham Westley had chosen ten debutants, the most in a PNE fixture since their very first league game in September 1888 against Burnley and they soon endeared themselves to the North End faithful and could have been ahead just 40 seconds in.

Chris Beardsley, starting in attack supported by King, did well to chest the ball down to John Mousinho. The new North End skipper hit a blistering left footed drive that Alex Smithies could only block. The ball came out to King but as he reached the ball just before Smithies he couldn’t keep his snap shot on target and it went just wide of the right hand post.

The Lilywhites were getting the ball into the box from wide areas with every opportunity, Scott Laird firing a pacy ball across from the left in and Paul Dixon glancing a header inches wide of the post with King waiting to pounce.

The visitors took time to get into the game, but had a good chance of their own with ten minutes on the clock, Jimmy Spencer forcing a block from Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, the ricochet falling to Oscar Gobern, who couldn’t find the target.

The deadlock was broken just before the half hour mark. Jeffrey Monakana, whose pace had looked a real threat, found room on the right hand flank to deliver deep to the back post where King rose highest to head back across goal and over Smithies into the net, much to the delight of the home crowd.

The atmosphere inside Deepdale was rocking as the fans recognised the effort and style of their new heroes and as half-time approached and the tempo continued to rise PNE grabbed a deserved second.

Whilst Nicky Wroe was the one to gain the plaudits with his first goal for the Club, firing home from close range, he owed a debt of gratitude to the brilliant work of Chris Beardsley. The No.20 received the ball from a quick throw in by Keith Keane and he held off the pressure of both Gerrard and Terriers captain Clarke, before turning and firing a low cross right into the path of Wroe, onrushing from midfield, who put the ball home from just inside the six yard box.

But is was Beardsley again who got the first meaningful shot away of the second half, after Jack King had sent the forward away down the left; he ran on, cut inside and shot left footed towards the bottom left hand corner, but the Yorkshire side's keeper was behind it.

The noise in Deepdale was incredible as the team left the field at half-time. A break that saw Lee Holmes replaced by David Buchanan.

Less than ten minutes into the half and it was inches away from being three after some more fabulous team football from the home side. After intricate passing down the left Scott Laird saw Jeffrey Monakana unmarked at the back post and threaded a ball right through five players to find the former Arsenal winger. Making his professional debut the 18-year-old drilled a low shot across goal, beating Smithies, but also beating the left hand post by a matter of millimetres.

Wroe looked keen to add to his first half goal with one from a bit further out and hit a blistering effort from 25 yards just past the hour mark. It beat Smithies, but came flashing back off the post, sadly the post holding up the net behind the goal though.

It took the visitors until the 67th minute to test Stuckmann in the second period. Oscar Gobern firing straight at the big German after good hold up play by Lee Novak in the edge of the box, which was quickly followed by a corner after Nicky Wroe had deflected Scott Arfield's long range effort over the bar.

John Welsh became the 12th debutant as he replaced Monakana with 20 minutes left and David Amoo made it 13 with just nine minutes left, Nicky Wroe leaving the field to a standing ovation and he almost made an immediate impact with a breath-taking and blistering run down the right and flashing the ball right across goal, inches wide.

The visitors threw on substitutes including Alan Lee but did not threaten North End who progressed through to the second round in style. 

: Mr R LewisReferee

:  5,750 (738 away) Attendance

: Smithies, Dixon, Clarke, Gerrard (Clarke, 76), Clayton, Novak, Gobern Ward (Arfield, 46), Southern, Spencer (Lee, 76), Hunt. Subs Not Used: Woods, Bennett, Robinson, Higginbotham. Huddersfield Town Line-Up

: Stuckmann, Keane, Laird, Huntington, Cansdell-Sherriff, Wroe (Amoo, 81), Holmes (Buchanan, 46), Monakana (Welsh, 70), Beardsley, Mousinho, King. Subs Not Used: James, Amoo, Cummins, Procter, Wright. PNE Line-Up

Advertisement block