Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shrewsbury Town 1 PNE 0

21 August 2012

Paul Parry scored the only goal of the game as the Shrews picked up the three points at Greenhous Meadow.

Parry struck with a half-volley from just outside the box after only four minutes and the home side defended for much of the remainder of the game, but North End could not get the goal their play deserved.

The goal was the home side’s first attack of the game and their only shot on target in the first half. Paul Huntington conceded a free kick on the right hand side of the box, Mark Wright delivered the ball in but Shane Cansdell-Sherriff headed clear, however, it fell to Parry who got over the ball and fired it into the top right hand corner, giving Stuckmann no chance.

Following the opener it was North End who dominated possession and chances for the rest of the first half. Firstly Chris Beardsley was brought down just 30 seconds after the goal and Scott Laird stepped up anc clipped the ball over the wall, but Salop keeper Chris Weale took the ball at the second attempt.

Lee Holmes, who had returned the side after missing the opening league game of the season, looked lively on the left for the all-white PNE and he collected a cross field ball from Keith Keane on the quarter hour mark, before driving inside and shooting right-footed, but Jermaine Grandison stuck out a leg and deflected the goal bound effort away.

Nicky Wroe was looking to do the same as Parry and notch against his former club and on 24 minutes he made a lovely turn on the edge of box, turning and hitting a left foot effort. It curled towards the top corner, but Weale at full stretch palmed the ball behind for a corner. 

A trio of corners followed allowing Holmes to have a shot, blocked by Summerfield and then Welsh to hit a low effort from 25 yards that was also blocked by a resolute home defence.

At the interval manager Graham Westley introduced Akpo Sodje for Jack King and he almost had an immediate impact, just failing to get on the end of Jeffrey Monakana's early second half cross.

Just before the half hour mark the Lilyhwites showed some quality football as firstly Jeffrey Monakana created a chance for Chris Beardsley, whose shot was blocked six yards out after great spin and shot and it then fell to Jack King after Wroe had headed the ball back into the dangerzone, but he couldn’t quite connect and Weale claimed.

The home side were reduced to counter-attacking North End, but from a rare corner on 58 minutes centre half Darren Jones met Mark Wright's front post cross and hit the outside of the woodwork.

Just after the hour mark David Amoo entered the action, replacing Lee Holmes, with Jeffrey Monakana switching to the left hand flank for the remainder of the game.

North End continued to dominate the chances as the game wore on as Sodje saw an effort blocked by Weale and Monakana almost able to convert the follow up and then Nicky Wroe was brought down on the edge of the box and powered the free kick inches over the cross bar after dusting himself down. 

The former Arsenal winger hit a blistering low drive after cutting in from the left shortly after the arrival of Amoo as North End looked to exploit the pace they had down both sides.

: 6,444 (1,016 away fans)Attendance

: Mr Scott Mathieson Referee

: Anyon, Jacobson, Bradshaw, Taylor, Hazell, Wildig. Subs Not Used: Weale, Grandison, Summerfield (Hall, 75), Jones, Purdiue, Wright, Richards, Morgan, Parry, Hector, Gornell. Shrewsbury Town Line-Up

: Simonsen, Robertson, Buchanan, Procter. Subs Not Used: Stuckmann, Keane, Laird, Huntington, Cansdell-Sherriff, Wroe, Holmes (Amoo, 63), Monakana, Welsh, Beardsley, King (Sodje, 46 (Cummins, 81)). PNE Line-Up

It was completely one-way traffic, but the home side defended resolutely, trying to hold on against the lilywhite onslaught that faced them. Four minutes of time was added on by the match official but the visitors couldn't gain the goal their endeavours deserved.

Advertisement block