Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

PNE 1 Morecambe 1

16 October 2012

Preston North End lost out 3-2 on penalties to Morecambe in the Lancashire Senior Cup.

Morecambe: Arestidou, Parrish, Short, McGee, McGready, Fleming, Reid, Wright, Burrow, Brodie, Mwasile Subs: Drummond, Alessandra, Haining, Roche.

PNE: Simonsen, Amoo, Cansdell-Sherriff, Procter, Robertson, Huntington, Daley, Cummins, Beardsley, King, Hayhurst. Subs: Davies, James, Kuba-Kuba, Zibaka, Sawery.

Morecambe win on penalties.

PNE: Keammar Daley: Missed
Morecambe: Izak Reid: Scored
PNE: Graham Cummins – Scored
Morecambe: Will Haining – Missed
PNE: David Amoo – Scored
Morecambe: Richard Brodie – Scored
PNE: Shane Cansdell-Sherriff- Saved
Morecambe: Andy Wright – Scores
PNE Jack King – Missed
The penalties are as follows:

Using his pace he left the opposition standing flying forward, with options available Amoo decided to go alone and struck wide of the mark with the game heading to penalties.

The best chance for a winner was saved five minutes until the end. After withstanding Morecambe pressure, Amoo broke away with the ball to hit the Shrimps on the counter.

Dreyer’s men nearly turned the game completely on its head two minutes later as Beardsley, causing all sorts of problems, with his back to goal escaped the challenge of Andy Parrish to have an attempt on goal with the keeper equal.

From the middle of the park, King curled a 25-yard pass into the penalty box into the path of Beardsley. Using his strength ‘Beardo’ held off two red shirts to lay the ball into run of Procter to drive into the bottom right hand corner.

15 minutes later and North End got their equalising goal to set up a tense final 20 minutes as Procter finished off a superb team move.

And they nearly made an immediate response when Irish man Cummins worked his way into the box but his clever flick was matched by his former team mate Arestidou.

North End didn’t let the setback affect them and settled the game down as they set their target back on the Morecambe goal.

However despite their first half pressure, Morecambe took the lead with 54 minutes on the clock when a wayward backpass from the Lilywhites was picked up by Crawley loan man Richard Brodie to drive through on goal and slot past Steve Simonsen.

Like last Tuesday’s JPT clash in the north of Lancashire, it was again a feisty affair between the two sides, with strong tackles flying in and players heading into the referee’s notebook.
The Lilywhites maintained their pressure on the Morecambe goal with Daley and frontman Chris Beardsley both coming close but were unable to find a break through before the half time.

Just before the 20th minute, Preston had their fourth sight on the Morecambe goal as Jack King hit a 25-yard free-kick wide of the post.
The hosts continued to create goal scoring opportunities as Cansdell-Sheriff once again sent in an inviting cross into the penalty box five minutes later for fellow defender Paul Huntington to head over the bar.

Alongside being handed the responsibility of the captain’s armband, left footed Cansdell-Sherriff was designated to set pieces and the former Leeds man delivered an inswinging corner from the left hand side for Daley to fire over the bar.

Jamaican international Keammar Daley, making his first start of the season on the right wing, playing in front of David Amoo who was installed at right back, threaded a through ball into the path of Will Hayhurst in the seventh minute but Arestidou pushed the effort round the post for a corner.

North End, who were lining up with 11 first team professionals at Springfields, with the substitutes bench filled with second year scholars from Graham Alexander’s promising youth team,  started brightly on a damp afternoon at Springfields.

Both teams started with nine players who lined up in the JPT tie at the Globe Arena seven days ago. Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, who wasn’t involved that night was handed the captain’s armband by assistant manager John Dreyer.

Despite David Amoo and Graham Cummins converting their penalties past former North End keeper Andreas Arestidou, the Shrimps progressed into the second round to face holders Manchester United.

The Lilywhites came from 1-0 down to take the game to spot kicks after Andy Procter’s equaliser, his first goal for the Club since his move from Accrington Stanley.

Advertisement block