Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Fleetwood 2-1 Academy

14 October 2013

Preston North End were undone by an Aden Wainwright double as they lost to Fleetwood Town on Saturday.

Wainwright opened his account for the Cod Army in the 17th minute, before Craig Madden’s men were pegged back in the 64th minute when Joe Whittington replied from the penalty spot.

But Wainwright struck again in the 73rd minute to claim the three points for Town.

The Cod Army started the game in positive fashion and had an early chance through Jordan Lazenbury. 

The 2nd year midfielder struck a low drive from twenty yards which was saved by Preston shot stopper, Ross Dalton.

Preston’s Jack Ryan then powered himself above Town centre back Dominic Barrett, but sent his glancing header just wide.

Fleetwood got their noses in front in the 17th minute though thanks to Wainwright.

A long ball forward from Kurt Willoughby found the striker, who beat his man and lobbed over keeper Dalton.

North End pressed on looking for a quick reply with both Whittington and captain Tyler Forbes, seeing their long range strikes saved by Town goalkeeper Oliver Martin.

Jack Ryan was proving to be a handful in the air, and he rose highest on 30 minutes to head Nick Anderton’s cross wide of the mark.

Whittington then had Preston’s best chance of the first half as he cut in from the right hand side and drove his effort agonisingly wide of Martin’s near post.

Two minutes before the break, Wainwright nearly doubled Fleetwood’s advantage.

A passing move involving Danny Vile and Lazenbury found Jonny Conway on the right wing, and his delivery was met by Wainwright who headed just wide.

After the restart, Martin fumbled George Gray’s free kick and Whittington was the quickest to react, but he sent his header over.

Some good hold up play by the Cod Army’s Wainwright presented Conway with a good opportunity on the edge of the box, as his venomous strike was tipped away by Dalton.

A minute later Ryan saw his shot hit the side netting, while Fleetwood were indebted to keeper Martin as he produced a fine fingertip save to deny Whittington once more.

North End got their deserved equaliser in the 64th minute when Michael Muscat was adjudged to have felled Forbes in the box and the referee pointed to the spot after a lengthy discussion with his assistant.

Whittington stepped up to take and he dispatched his spot kick into the bottom left hand corner, just rewards for the young Lilywhites display to that point.

Kurt Willoughby almost had Fleetwood back in front soon after as he found himself unmarked in the area, but only managed to head Conway’s cross into the ground and Dalton gathered.

However, Fleetwood snatched the win in the 71st minute with Wainwright grabbing his second of the game.

The striker chested down on the edge of the box and took the ball under control before unleashing a strike which nestled into the bottom corner.

The Fleetwood back line were put under some intense pressure in the last few minutes, but central defenders Dominic Barrett and Muscat kept the North End at bay.

Whittington once again tried an effort from distance, but he shot wide, while in the dying moments Town’s Lazenbury stung the palms of Dalton with a long range pile driver.

Advertisement block