Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Shrewsbury Town (H) 2014/15 - FA Cup

6 December 2014

PNE 1 Shrewsbury Town 0

Paul Huntington's goal in the first half was enough to put the Lilywhites into the third round of the FA Cup.

Huntington smashed home his fourth goal of the season from 12 yards out just 19 minutes in, following Kyel Reid driving run and cross from the left.

Paul Gallagher missed a chance to double the lead when he fired a penalty he had himself won over the bar with 12 minutes left, but the Lilywhites held on to progress.

Manager Simon Grayson had named an unchanged 18 from the side that was victorious over Yeovil Town the previous weekend, with Jermaine Beckford making his home debut.

However, it was the visitors who showed first and forced Thorsten Stuckmann into a fine save just four minutes in. It was James Collins who had the chance, cutting in from the left hand side and curling a right-footed effort towards the bottom left corner, until a strong hand from the big German pushed the pink ball away.

North End repeated a very similar move down the right two minutes later as Chris Humphrey raced away from Connor Goldson, cut inside and fired goalwards, only for Salop keeper Jayson Leutwiler to push the ball away to safety.

However, the Lilywhites had the lead in front of the Town End 19 minutes in. Kyel Reid drove to byline down the left and cut the ball across towards Chris Humphrey at the near post. The Shrews defence tried to clear but it only came back out to Paul Huntington, 12 yards out, who unleashed a vicious shot high into the rood of the net for his fourth goal since his return to the side in October.

The goal saw the game become a scrappy affair and after three scuffed efforts from the visiting skipper Liam Lawrence, the last and best chance of the first period came as David Buchanan found space on the left side of box; he pulled the ball back to Beckford who shot first time. His effort hit Nathan Knight-Percival and there were screams from fans and players alike for handball, but referee David Webb just waved play on.

Before the hour mark the visitors had made all their changes, whilst Kevin Davies and Josh Brownhill had joined the action for PNE.

Wirth 64 minutes on the clock a Bobby Grant free kick was well saved by Thorsten Stuckmann, with the visitors having a good amount of possession at the start of the half and they followed this as substitute Andy Mangan was denied by a brilliant last ditch clearance on the line by David Buchanan, after James Collins had done well in the box.

North End started to look a threat on the counter and a Paul Gallagher run from his own box saw him eventually force a save from Leutwiler that came out of Davies, but his curling effort from the left corner of the box flashed an inch wide.

North End were awarded a penalty on 77 minutes as the ball was played in by Wiseman and deflected meaning Leutwiler had to head away. It came back to Gallagher, who was brought down by Knight-Percival as he was about to fire into the empty, giving the referee no choice but to point straight to the spot. Gallagher himself stepped up to take it, but fired high and wide of the right hand upright.

With five minutes left Jermaine Beckford ran onto Paul Gallagher’s threaded through ball, checked back and fired low, but Leutwiler got down to his left to grab the ball at the second attempt.

Three minutes of time were added on with which the final touch was Josh Brownhill drilling wide as North End became ball No.57 in the third round draw.

PNE line-up: Stuckmann, Wiseman, Buchanan, Kilkenny (Brownhill, 61), Clarke (c), Huntington, Humphrey (Browne, 70), Welsh, Beckford, Gallagher, Reid (K Davies, 61). Subs not used: Jones, Laird, Welsh, Fewster.

Shrewsbury Town line-up: Leutwiler, Grandison (Demetriou, 46), Woods, Goldson, Collins, Lawrence (c), Wesolowski (Clark, 16), Knight-Percival, Passley, Grant, Akpa Akpro (Mangan, 59). Subs not used: Halstead, Ellis, Vernon, Griffith.

Attendance:  6,011 (644 away fans)

Referee: Mr D Webb

Advertisement block