Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Bury 0-0 Academy

22 September 2014

Ross Dalton’s inspired performance secured a goalless draw for Preston in an entertaining affair at the Old Boltonians ground.

Whilst Bury dominated in the first half, the second was a stark contrast as Preston had their chances to snatch all three points.

Both goalkeepers produced a series a fine saves which left this game goalless and both sides disappointed.

Preston manager Nick Harrison said: “It probably could have been eight-eight, so it probably was [a fair result].

“We did start slow, I thought that they were sharper than us which is something that we are going to have to address because we could have found ourselves down early doors.

“The goalkeeper is part of the back four and I thought he was outstanding again today Ross Dalton.

“He’s made some great saves.”

Playing in slippery conditions, it was Preston that failed to get a foothold in the game early on as they had Dalton to thank for keeping things level as he produced two fine saves from close range.

As the game went on, Preston started to become more involved, as Luke Pritchard cut in from the left flank only to see his drive at goal excellently saved by the Bury goalkeeper.

Pritchard again tried his luck before half-time but fired over, and Bury continued to miss gilt-edged chances as Dalton was called upon once again to make two more excellent saves before the break.

The second half began as the first had ended with Dalton again thwarting Bury from going ahead with two more saves, including a stunning stop that prevented a header from abolishing his cleansheet.

After getting through the early minutes of the second half, Preston began to settle.

The men in yellow began to press far higher up the pitch and as they started to control the midfield, they finally were able get at the Shakers defence.

But for all their endeavour, they, just like their hosts, found themselves frustrated by a ‘keeper in fine form.

Pritchard and A J Robinson both had their free-kicks saved and Eddie Dsane was denied by the Bury shot stopper.

In the end, both sides had to settle for a point, as the two keepers refused to be beaten.

Goalkeeper Dalton said: “I think we deserved a draw, we defended a lot better in the second half than we did in the first half, we maybe should have been a few goals down but we held on.

“I think 0-0 was a fair result, the other ‘keeper made a few important saves in the second half so it was a pretty even result.”

While Harrison was quick to praise his defensive unit for their resolute display, he knows that his Preston side need to start games quicker if they are to really push on.

He continued: “I thought the back four got to grips with the game the longer it went on, it does take a goalkeeper to make those saves, but what we did need was a bit of quality down the other end.

“In the second half we had the chances, in fact we had chances first half, I think we’ve just got to have that bit of quality, or better quality in the final third to put the ball in the back of the net.

“But I’ve got to give my back four credit, I thought they defended very well.”

Harrison’s side only really got going in the second half, and while they could have won the game, he knows they could have lost it to.

“We felt that we were a little bit too far off in the midfield areas, we were reacting too slowly.

“So I thought the changes helped us, we defended from the front and that gave us chances to pinch the ball in midfield and start an attack.

“We had a lot more chances second half and we actually could have won the game, but really we should have been two nil down at half time, maybe more.

PNE lineup: Dalton, Whelan, Hagon, Sampson, Smith, Roscoe, Livesey, Boyd, Robinson, Dsane, Pritchard.

Next up for the Academy is Wrexham at Victory Park, Chorley, on Tuesday 30th as Preston will look to get back to winning ways following two successive draws in the league.

Advertisement block