Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Wigan U21s 5-0 PNE U21s

18 September 2014

Preston North End bowed out of the U21 Development Premier Cup at the hands of fellow Lancashire side Wigan on Tuesday afternoon, 5-0.

A brace from Aaron Taylor-Sinclair and goals from Tim Chow and Ryan Jennings overcame a Preston side that included eight youth team players on show at the Robin Park Arena, Wigan.

With just eight minutes on the clock, the home side took the lead courtesy of a stunning free-kick from Taylor-Sinclair after Nick Anderton was adjudged to have fouled Jennings on the edge of the box; the Wigan attacker bending his effort past the out-stretching Ross Dalton and into the top corner.

And almost identically, the Wigan number nine made it two, again from a deadball situation with Harry Hagon this time the culprit committing a foul on the edge of North End’s box; Taylor-Sinclair again lifting his free-kick over the wall and into the net, with Dalton again left with no chance.

Within the first half hour, the North End found themselves unfortunate to be two goals down with the clinical Taylor-Sinclair proving to be the difference between the sides.

And on 34 minutes two became three after Marc-Antoine Fortune converted from the spot-kick, slotting his penalty firmly into the right hand corner.

Preston needed a quick reaction, and that reaction nearly materialised in the form of James Quigley from just outside the box four minutes before half-time forcing goalkeeper Lee Nicholls into action.

Although the score line almost certainly flattered the Latics, there was no question that Wigan deserved to go into the lead at the break.

And as soon as the ref blew to mark the beginning of the second half, Wigan continued to probe. Roger Espinoza one of several Wigan players on show to come from the first-team sturck a venomous drive that was destined for the net, only for Dalton to tip it over for a corner.

Luke Pritchard gave his opposition defence something to think about with the number 11 scooping his effort over, before Wigan again added to their goal tally through Chow; the Wigan captain pouncing on a goalmouth scramble to toe poke home to add to Wigan’s lead just after the hour.

Dalton’s reactions were put to the test once again after Joey Johnson’s through ball found Fortune, but the forward wasn’t allowed time to consider his chance, with the number one coming out quickly to reduce the angle forcing him to shoot straight at him.

North End’s only first-team player, recent youth graduate Nick Anderton played a dipped cross into Harry Hagon with the defender lurking in the box, but his header arrowed wide which ultimately summed up the day for North End’s youngsters.

Wigan’s fifth and final goal was arguably the pick of the bunch. Ryan Jennings from 25 yards bulged the net with a 25 yard screamer with Dalton again helpess of keeping the ball out of his net.

Jennings again went close getting in behind the North End defence, only for his shot to hit the wrong side of the net to keep the deficit at five.

Advertisement block