Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Academy 1-2 Bury

9 March 2015

PNE Academy lost 2-1 against Bury on Saturday as a stunning volley from Braydon Shaw and a George Miller goal sealed all three points for the Shakers.

After going two goals behind, Preston’s Lamin Jagne gave the U18’s a route back into the game, but they couldn’t capitalise and the equaliser proved evasive.

Manager Nick Harrison was disappointed with the defeat but felt on another day his side may have got something from the game.

He said: “At times maybe we were a bit short, but I think at other times they showed that they are good players.

“I think we just switched off a couple of times when we conceded the goals.

“The two goals in the first half have killed us and that’s down to a lack of desire to defend at times which is disappointing.”

The game may have taken a different path had North End been given a penalty only ten minutes in when James Boyd was brought down in the box but the referee denied Preston’s appeals.

Bury started to dominate the game halfway through the first half as they settled into an easy on the eye passing rhythm and created a few opportunities.

The Lilywhites managed to steer a goalmouth scramble clear after a teasing corner dropped between several bodies hacking away at the ball, but eventually Preston cleared their lines.

Ultimately, Bury were the better of the two sides in the first half and they got their just rewards when Shaw quite sensationally opened the scoring.

The frontman let the ball run across his path 25 yards out and struck a sweet dipping volley that bent away from Ross Dalton into the top right hand corner.

George Miller made it 0-2 after wasting an earlier chance when he broke away down the left side of the box and hit a shot across Dalton who could only parry the ball high before it agonisingly looped into the back of the net.

Bury, with a little more ruthlessness, could have gone it at half-time with more daylight between the two, as Shaw, Poscha and Miller all missed big openings.

Firstly, the ball dropped to Shaw eight yards out with space around him, but the striker snatched at his shot and blazed his effort over the bar.

Shortly after, Poscha met a corner from the right hand side and glanced his effort towards the far post, but, disappointingly for him, Clive Smith was poised and on hand to clear off the line.

Miller then cleverly beat the offside trap, getting the better of Harry Hagon, before rounding the committed Dalton, however his touch sent him wide and he skewed his effort into the side netting.

After an undoubtedly rallying half-time team talk from Nick Harrison, PNE came out in the second half determined to put things right.

The Lilywhites looked more comfortable on the ball throughout the second half but the forwards lacked any real supply from their colleagues.

They did however get back in the game early in the second half when Eddie Dsane beat his man down the right and drilled in a cross which fell back to Jagne who duly converted to reduce the deficit in the 54th minute.

The Shakers consistently created opportunities and Matt Foulds had the pick of them all when PNE left him unmarked from a corner and he met the ball on the volley four yards out, bemusedly however, the impressive defender scuffed it over the bar.

Robert Bourne also went close for Bury when his free kick cannoned off the bar from distance after Dalton tipped his effort onto the woodwork.

Preston had one glorious chance to level things up but the opportunity evaded substitute Adam James Robinson.

He was threaded through on goal but the midfielder couldn’t direct his effort and his shot was gathered by the goalkeeper.

Speaking about events after the break, Harrison added: “We were pleased with how the players reacted in the second half – we found ourselves 2-0 down and we challenged the players in the second half for a
reaction and I thought we got that.

“We deserved our goal and we were unlucky maybe to not get an equaliser.”

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account