Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Barnsley (A) 2014/15

21 March 2015

Match Reports

Barnsley (A) 2014/15

21 March 2015

Barnsley 1 PNE 1

Gentry day saw 3,000 North End fans travel to Barnsley, but they had to settle for a point after the home side came from behind.

Joe Garner gave the yellows a first half lead when he fired home from Callum Robinson’s cross from the left and they could have been further ahead had it not been for Adam Davies in the home goal.

But North End were left to rue the Reds’ keeper’s excellent display when substitute Jabo Ibehre headed home with just over ten minutes remaining to snatch a point for Lee Johnson’s side.

It was ‘same again’ for the third game in a row for Simon Grayson, just switching Andy Little for Kyel Reid on the bench.

However, it was the in-form home side who started the brighter of the two sides, on loan Blackburn Rovers man John O’Sullivan firing just wide of the right hand upright from 30 yards on 90 minutes, but this brought the yellows to life.

The first chance for PNE came ten minutes in. It proved to be an amazing point blank save from Reds keeper Adam Davies on the line, denying Joe Garner from Paul Gallagher’s perfect cross into the six yard box – a brilliant stop.

Then on 20 minutes Callum Robinson put the ball in from the left; there were huge shouts for handball, but Garner played on, controlled and fired a shot that was blocked by home skipper Martin Cranie just yards from the goalline.

Just before the half-hour mark a Gallagher free kick by the right hand corner flag was delivered to around the penalty spot, flicked on by Paul Huntington and Tom Clarke collected the ball but fired over.

Shortly after Davies was again in the action, this time saving from Robinson from yet another Gallagher cross – this time a corner swung in from the left.

But it was 1-0 with eight minutes left of the opening period. Joe Garner fired home with the outside of his right foot into bottom right hand corner after great play from Callum Robinson on the left, who turned Holgate inside out and delivered a cross from the byline back to Garner 12 yards out.

The Lilywhites started the second half brightly and another Gallagher free kick, from the left, was put over perfectly for Garner who headed down, but Davies just grabbed it on the line.

Up the other end Cranie, who’d been booked for the foul that led to the previous free kick flicked a header just over the bar from Hourihane’s cross from the right – the closest the home side had got to testing Sam Johnstone.

Cameron Stewart then had an even better chance as he combined with fellow loan man Declan John, who delivered from the left but at the back post Stewart fired over with 53 minutes gone.

North End had the ball in the back of the net at the other end only seconds later as Huntington headed home, but the referee adjudged that Adam Davies had been fouled.

However, with 11 minutes left the home side drew level. Mason Holgate found space around the right hand corner of the box and lofted the ball in to the edge of the six yard box where Jabo Ibehre, only just on as a substitute headed down and past Johnstone.

Five minutes was added on by Eddie Ilderton the match official and in the second minute Bailey Wright met Paul Gallagher’s free kick from the left but his downward effort was well-claimed by Davies, but it remained 1-1.

Barnsley line-up: Davies, Holgate, Cranie (c), Nyatanga, John, Waring (Ibehre, 73), Winnall, Hourihane, O’Sullivan (Hemmings, 86), Bailey, Stewart (Jennings, 73). Subs not used: Dibble, M’Voto, Smith, Berry.

PNE line-up: Johnstone, Clarke (c), Laird, Welsh, Wright, Huntington, Robinson (Humphrey, 65), Johnson, Garner, Beckford (Little, 85), Gallagher. Subs not used: Stuckmann, Humphrey, Kilkenny, K Davies, Woods, Ebanks-Blake.

Attendance: 12,471 (2,927 away fans)

Referee: Mr E Ilderton

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account