Skip to main content Skip to site footer

PNEWFC 2-3 Derby County Ladies

25 March 2015

Preston North End Women suffered their seventh league loss of the season on Sunday afternoon, going down 3-2 at home to Derby County Ladies.

Beth Stanfield had opened the scoring for the Lilywhites but Derby won it late on in the 84th minute through Melissa Johnson to take the three points back to DE21.

The away side had the first chance of the game in the eighth minute when Precious Hamilton made space for herself in the area but couldn’t get her shot on target, firing over Danielle Brown’s bar.

PNE took the lead twelve minutes later as Stanfield added to her tally for the season with a powerful right footed effort.

Nikki Emery released the right back into the area and she smashed the ball past Sarah Morgan to give North End the advantage.

However, the lead didn’t last for very long as Derby pulled level within eight minutes.

A shot wasn’t fully cleared by the PNE defence and captain Emily Jeffrey was on hand to apply the finish from close range to level the scores.

Following the equaliser the game turned into a midfield battle and was heading into half-time at a stalemate until Derby were awarded a penalty in the 40th minute.

Brown tripped Johnson in the box and Jeffrey stepped up to add her and Derby’s second of the game.

PNE had one final chance before the half-time whistle with Jade Parker being inches away from levelling the scores after her shot struck the post and bounced clear.

Manager Luke Podmore made a double change at the break with Rebecca Foster and Yasmine Swarbrick coming on for Holly Rawcliffe and Emery.

And Swarbrick was involved in the action straight away as she showed great defensive awareness to track back and clear almost on the line under heavy pressure from Hamilton.

The scores were level once again in the 69th minute when Megan Clarkson headed into her own net.

Alison Taberner’s in-swinging free kick caused confusion in the Derby box and Clarkson diverted the ball over her own goalkeeper’s head to make it 2-2.

The game was fairly even throughout with not a lot of chances created by either side but Preston felt aggrieved in the final ten minutes.

A shot from the edge of the area cannoned off a Derby player’s hand in the area but referee Liam Marshall dismissed the appeals.

From the resulting phase of play, the Rams broke and scored a late winner through Johnson.

The winger cut inside on her left foot before burying her shot past Brown to secure the three points for the away side.

The final whistle followed shortly after the goal and with it came PNE’s seventh league defeat of the season.

The Lilywhites have the opportunity to bounce back quickly though as they welcome Huddersfield Town Ladies to the Sir Tom Finney Stadium on Sunday afternoon, 2pm kick off, in what is a dress rehearsal for the FA Women’s Premier League Plate final on 26th April.

Advertisement block