Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Simon Grayson: “Hugely Disappointing”

19 September 2015

North End boss Simon Grayson spoke to PNE Player after his side’s defeat at Brentford and admitted there had been strong words in the dressing room.

The Lilywhites boss spoke to the online TV channel after the Bees scored two second half goals in the space of three minutes to take the points, despite Daniel Johnson opening the scoring after only 32 seconds.

“It was hugely disappointing,” said the gaffer. “We started ever so well, got the early goal and were very lively and quite comfortable throughout the first half, but in the second half it was as if we put a different team out and that was disappointing, because it was a great opportunity to win a game today. 

“When the second goal went in one or two players looked like it was the end of the game and that is not a good attitude to have, so we have had a few words in the dressing room.

“We caused them a lot of problems in the first half. Jordan [Pickford] made one good save from a set piece, but other than that we were quite comfortable in everything that we did.

“In the second half it was as if we just thought we needed to turn up and when we were under a bit of pressure a few players crumbled. We have said in the past few weeks, that when you lose a match you can lose in a certain way like we did against Derby, Ipswich and Hull where we have done okay and whilst I am not happy to lose at any stage, in those games we at least had a go, whereas today once they got a goal one or two players thought ‘that’s the end of it, we are going to lose’ and I don’t like that; I don’t want that sort of attitude. The players have to do something about it.”

North End went with a front three and they looked a constant threat in the opening half, Doyle and May combining at the very start which led to Johnson’s opener into the roof of the net from 12 yards out and the manager was happy with the opening, but nothing that came after.

“We went with a front three because we knew it would cause them problems,” he continued. “We got the early goal and Joe had a header that forced the keeper into a save and quite possibly the game could have been over by half-time. 

“When you don’t take those chances you have to make sure you still start the second half brightly and get on the front foot, anticipate things and manage the game, but a lot of players didn’t manage the situation.”

Even at the end of the game the visitors had an opportunity to try and take something from the game as the officials signalled nine minute s of injury time, but the lack of chances in that period was something the manager felt reflected the whole second half.

“Injury time epitomised us today. 

“We had nine minutes and we didn’t once work the keeper. We didn’t have people who were willing to run with the ball or affect the game the way we did in the first half. 

“We were a different team in the first half and then they did to us in the second half what we did to them in the first and we didn’t deal with it defensively,” he added.

Click here to watch the full interview with the manager now on PNE PlayerHD

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account