Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

PNE 1 Newcastle United 2

29 October 2016

Match Reports

PNE 1 Newcastle United 2

29 October 2016

PNE 1 Newcastle United 2

North End were robbed of an opportunity to take a point from the game by a controversial decision not to award them a penalty in the final seconds of the game.

Aleksandar Mitrovic had earlier put Newcastle two ahead with second half close range strikes, but Jamaal Lascelles put the ball into his own goal under pressure from substitute Jermaine Beckford and then in the tenth minute of injury time Beckford was upended by Grant Hanley only for referee Chris Kavanagh to somehow fail to award it.

In the aftermath of the shout an overhead kick from Marnick Vermijl came off the post, but the Magpies side held on for the points.

Simon Grayson made nine changes to the side that lost at St James' Park in midweek, returning to the team that was victorious at Carrow Road seven days previously and the first half at Deepdale was a feisty affair without too many clear cut chances, the best of the efforts coming North End’s way.

On the half hour mark Toon keeper Karl Darlow scooped out a shot from Paul Gallagher and it almost went straight into the path of Jordan Hugill, only for Ciaran Clark to clear up.

But shortly after, a trio of corners came for North End, the second of which from Ben Pringle was cleared off the line by visiting skipper Lascelles after Alex Baptiste’s header had beaten Darlow.

The second half almost started with a bang as Ben Pringle fired a left footed drive just wide of the left hand post after an early corner wasn’t fully cleared by the Newcastle defence.

Darlow was in fine form at the start of the second period as he denied Gallagher from ten yards out, tipping a shot across goal around the post for a corner after the ball had ricocheted around in the penalty area.

The former Nottingham Forest stopped then did brilliantly to tip away the ball off the head of Jordan Hugill after Callum Robinson’s cross from the left hand corner of the box.

But on 59 minutes the visitors took the lead against the run of play. A ball from Mohamed Diame over the top found Aleksandar Mitrovic in a right hand channel and he drove into the box before sliding the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the goal.

On 70 minutes Callum Robinson was clearly pushed over in the box by Ciaran Clark; it looked all the world to be a penalty, but referee Chris Kavanagh did not see it that way and waved play on.

And within 30 seconds the visitors were two ahead when Mitrovic made it two for him and Newcastle, poking home for close range, after his initial header had been well saved by Chris Maxwell, only for the ball to spin away from him back into the path of the No.45.

The arrears should have been reduced with five minutes to go when Darlow punched clear a cross from Gallagher to Ben Pearson. The midfielder drove a shot goalwards, only to see his effort blocked, but it fell to Tom Clarke eight yards out, only for the skipper to hook his effort into the side netting with Darlow out of position.

Into the final minute and North End were given a lifeline when they worked the ball brilliantly down the left and Greg Cunningham drilled the ball across and, under pressure from Jermaine Beckford, Jamaal Lascelles sliced the ball into his own net.

There were ten minutes of injury time played and in the final seconds Marnick Vermijl’s cross was only partially cleared to Bailey Wright. The Aussie connected with his shot, but it flew inches over the bar.

But that wasn’t it. The ball was thrown back into the box by Marnick Vermijl, it was flicked on by one substitute for another, with Simon Makienok winning the ball, into the path of Beckford, but as the frontman got into a clear position to shoot Grant Hanley failed to see the danger and booted the North end No.10 up on the air.

The whole stadium expected the whistle to go for a penalty, but somehow it didn’t, with Kavanagh again the centre of attention.

Even then the ball was recycled and the third of the second half introductions Marnick Vermijl acrobatically hit an overhead kick that beat Darlow, but came back off the post and somehow the visitors survived.

PNE line-up: Maxwell, Baptiste, Cunningham, Pearson, Clarke (c), Wright, Gallagher, Johnson, Robinson (Vermijl, 86), Hugill (Makienok, 82), Pringle (Beckford, 72). Subs not used: Lindegaard, Doyle, Spurr, Huntington.

Newcastle United line-up: Darlow, Clark, Dummett, Lascelles (c), Ritchie (Atsu, 90), Shelvey, Hayden, Diame, Goffran, Yedlin (Hanley, 90), Mitrovic (Perez, 86). Subs not used: Sels, Lazaar, Anita, Gamez.

Attendance: 20,724 (5,714 Newcastle United fans)

Referee: Mr C Kavanagh

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account