Skip to main content Skip to site footer
First Team News

Light At The End Of The Tunnel For Rudd

28 November 2017

Goalkeeper Declan Rudd was delighted to get 90 minutes under his belt as he continued his comeback from injury.

The 'keeper has had a frustrating return to the club after a recurring injury, first suffered while on loan at Charlton Athletic last season, but the North End No.1 is hoping he has turned a corner and put the injury behind him after his return to action in the Lancashire Senior Cup.

On his road to recovery, Rudd said: "It's been a long time. Last time we spoke after one of these games I knew in the back of my mind that my quad had gone again and this time it felt good and I got through the game, played the full 90 minutes with no problems.

"Unfortunately we didn't win but there's a lot of players out there who needed to get some time in, myself and the skipper needed minutes and we both got through the 90 so thats a plus.

The 26-year-old's injury reoccured in pre-season when playing in the friendly and Bamber Bridge, and after initially making his return in the Lancashire Senior Cup in September, Rudd has taken his time with his recovery this time around after a set back.

"I made sure that everything was done right this time, there was no skipping anything, there was no cutting corners or rushing and it was all done properly. If anything, we've added an extra two or three weeks on to what was needed.

"We've done it right now, since Deano [Dean Kiely] has come in he;'s managed it well and between him, the physio staff and myself we've got it right."

On the injury itself, the former Norwich City man explained: "It was an injury that I got at Charlton last season in November and I was out for six to eight weeks then.

"Being caught between three clubs in the summer I never really had a proper programme to get it right and strengthen it and keep it going.

"I'm not saying that anyone is to blame, it was just one of those things because of the situation at the time but we've spent extra time in the gym, done extra weights and extra work and hopefully we have put it to bed now and concentrate on getting back."

Rudd wasn't the only first team player stepping up their recovery, North End captain Tom Clarke also played the full 90 minutes and Dec was delighted to see his teammate get through the match.

"I think he's surprised everyone in the medical department, he's weeks ahead of schedule and to go out there and play 90 minutes and dominate in the air like he always does, he doesn't look like he's missed a day!

"He will probably tell you different, his lungs were probably burning inside but he defended well and it's great to see the skipper back out there earlier than he should have been.

"When you've got a figure in the squad like Clarkey coming back it lifts everyone knowing that he's back in there and he's back in and around everything.

"It will just be good to see him back out there on a Saturday terrorising the opposition strikers!"

Watch the full interview with Dec now on iFollow PNE by clicking on the video above.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account