Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hull City 1 Preston North End 2

26 September 2017

North End made it back to back away wins with a thrilling late winner from substitute Callum Robinson for their first ever victory at the KCOM Stadium.

The No.37 headed home fellow change Daryl Horgan's cross with two minutes to go to give them a deserved three points against Leonid Slutsky's men.

Tom Barkhuizen had given them a first half lead with a superb finish, but Jarrod Bowen had levelled from close range just after half-time, but the late goal was nothing more than PNE deserved as they picked up their first win on Humberside for 25 years.

After a cagey first half an hour the game came to life as the Lilywhites stepped up a gear. First up a lovely ball over the top from Daniel Johnson saw Barkhuizen collect and shoot from the right hand corner of the box. City ’keeper Allan McGregor made a fine low save, with the ball coming back out to Alan Browne, whose goalbound effort was blocked on the line by Michael Dawson, the Tigers’ skipper.

But when the first two again combined four minutes later, the opener arrived. Barkhuizen collected Johnson’s clever pass down the left from a quickly taken free kick; the No.29 then did brilliantly to send his left back a dummy, before crossing to the back post.

North End captain Paul Huntington met the deep ball and headed towards the bottom left hand corner, only for McGregor to palm the ball away, however, it was only into the path of Barkhuizen again, who collected and slammed a superb shot back across the keeper and into the bottom right hand corner of the goal for his second goal of the season.

However, the lead only lasted four and half minutes into the second half, when a free kick in the middle of the North End half was thrown up to the left hand post by half-time substitute Kamil Grosicki and headed back across goal by Fraizer Campbell, for Jarrod Bowen to poke home from close range.

Within a minute of the equaliser, North End were almost back in front when a free kick from a similar area in the Hull half by Browne picked out Jordan Hugill 15 yards out; his header was powerful, but also narrowly wide of the left hand post, with McGregor beaten.

Just after the hour mark and the pace of Barkhuizen again opened up the home defence as Browne fed him down the right, before he cut inside, beating two men, before trying to feed the ball to Maguire in a left hand channel, but the ball was just over hit for the Irishman – who would have been unmarked eight yards out – to collect.

At the half’s mid-way point Barkhuizen was again involved as the Lilywhites created another good opening. Darnell Fisher intercepted a pass down the right and sent the winger free down the right, he pulled the ball back for the full back, who had continued his run, and he drilled a cross to Maguire, but the Irishman couldn’t keep the pacy ball down and it landed on the roof of the net.

McGregor kept his side in it with 20 minutes to go. Josh Harrop had come on and swung over a corner that caused all sorts of problems in the penalty area, the ball eventually falling to Browne, who fired in a vicious goalbound shot, that the Scottish keeper saved superbly with his legs.

The chances kept coming, with the Lilywhites forcing the home side back, frightened of Barkhuizen’s pace and strength and he again left the left back watching as he raced into the box and drilled a shot in that fell to Callum Robinson, on with Harrop, but Dawson blocked the effort on the line again to keep his side level.

But at the other end Chris Maxwell also earned his money with an outstanding save to push the ball onto the bar from Grosicki, after Paul Huntington had blocked Meyler’s initial effort from the edge of the box, with 12 minutes left on the clock.

But with two minutes left the second goal came and what a goal. It was nicked off Jackson Irvine in the middle of the Hull half by Johnson and Daryl Horgan, on for Barkhuizen, broke away with three team-mates, before getting to the byline and delivering a cross right onto the head of Callum Robinson a yard out, who headed gleefully into the roof of the net much to the delight of the travelling North End faithful.

Into the second minute of stoppage time and Harrop almost brought a third as he collected a Johnson free kick and wriggled his way into the box before firing a low right footed effort, that McGregor turned onto the post and back into his arms, but it didn't matter as the visitors held on for a deserved three points.

Hull City line-up: McGregor, Irvine, Hector, Meyler, Larsson, Bowen, Dawson (c), Campbell (Dicko, 84), Kingsley (Clark, 25), Tomori (Grosicki, 46), Aina. Subs not used: Mannion, Mazuch, Toral, Henriksen.

PNE line-up: Maxwell, Fisher, Earl, Welsh (Robinson, 67), Huntington (c), Davies, Barkhuizen (Horgan, 78), Browne, Hugill (Harrop, 67), Johnson, Maguire. Subs not used: Hudson, Woods, Spurr, Mavididi.

Attendance: 15,443 (1,419 PNE fans)

Referee: Mr J Linington

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account