Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Millwall 1 Preston North End 1

13 January 2018

Match Reports

Millwall 1 Preston North End 1

13 January 2018

Callum Robinson scored as the Lilywhites came from behind to take a point in a 1-1 draw at The Den.

The left back converted Greg Cunningham’s cross to level up after Aiden O’Brien had given Millwall the lead just before half-time.

In the end it was a fair result in a hard-fought encounter where Alex Neil’s side had dominated the first half without creating too many clear cut chances, but after the interval were the dominant force and in the end could have taken all three points.

Paul Huntington had been ruled out with a hamstring injury and Alan Browne moved into the right back role, with skipper Tom Clarke alongside Ben Davies at the heart of the defence.

After the first 20 minutes had seen both sides edging their way into the game, PNE began to dictate the play and kept patient possession, waiting for openings to present themselves to them.

On 21 minutes Robinson collected the ball after a period patient build up play. Eventually he drove goalwards and fired towards the bottom left hand corner, only for Lions ’keeper Jordan Archer to get behind it and push the ball away, eventually cleared by James Meredith.

Just after the half hour mark, following more ball retention and patient build up play, Ben Pearson again found Robinson just inside the opposition half. Driving at the heart of the home side’s backline, he shot from 25 yards just wide of the right hand upright.

So it was completely against the run of play when Neil Harris’ men opened the scoring. A ball out to the left was cleverly laid off by experienced forward Steve Morison and collected by Jed Wallace. His right-footed cross found its way through a crowd of players to O’Brien just outside the six yard box, who drilled low on the half volley into the bottom right hand corner – Millwall’s first shot on target.

At the break the manager made a change; Billy Bodin, who had been given his first league start, was replaced by Tom Barkhuizen, who had been on the bench after missing a chunk of training in the run up to the game.

During the half, Daryl Horgan and Daniel Johnson were all added to the options and helped as again the yellows got on top.

The Irish winger, who had replaced Harrop when he came on, created space for an opening with 14 minutes left, with Meredith getting in a vita block to deflect the No.7’s goalbound effort from testing Archer.

But the deserved equaliser came on 80 minutes. Johnson found a superb run from Cunningham down the left hand side and he drove towards the byline before drilling a cross into the six yard box and Robinson did exceptionally well to use his chest to put the ball past the home ’keeper and into the back of the net.

And the North End No.3 almost created a winner five minutes later. He did superbly to check inside and hold off two defenders before pulling the ball back to Horgan. The Irishman got the ball out of his feet and drove a shot which Meredith through himself in front of, to deny a chance of a winner, as the game ended with both sides having to settle for a point.

Millwall line-up: Archer, Meredith, Hutchinson, Gregory (Williams, 88), Romeo, Wallace (Onyedinma, 88), Tunnicliffe, Morsion (c), O’Brien, Saville, Cooper. Subs not used: Martin, McLaughlin, Craig, Thompson, Elliott.

PNE line-up: Maxwell, Browne, Cunningham, Pearson (Johnson, 77), Clarke (c), Davies, Bodin (Barkhuizen, 46), Gallagher, Hugill, Harrop (Horgan, 70), Robinson. Subs not used: Rudd, Boyle, Welsh, O’Connor.

Attendance: 11,751 (1,483 PNE fans)

Referee: Mr J Simpson

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account