Preston North End can confirm that striker Jayden Stockley has tested positive for Covid-19 on the third round of tests undertaken as part of the return to training protocols.
Jayden, who returned negative tests on both Thursday 21st May and Monday 25th May, undertook a third test on Thursday of this week, which has now provided a positive result.
The 26-year-old, who is asymptomatic and feeling no ill effects, will now self-isolate at home and provided he develops no symptoms, he will, in line with medical protocols, return to training with his team-mates after his isolation.
He said: “It came as a complete shock. I got a call from the Doc when I came back from training; I felt brilliant in training, put a good session in and his number came up. We were aware we would get a call if our test was positive and I was thinking ‘no, surely not’, but he told me and it was a surreal moment real. You feel like you are untouchable and you are going to ride through it.
“You can send yourself a bit crazy thinking ‘where did I catch it’, because we are from down south we have not been down there, we have stayed in our house up here and not mixed with anyone; the supermarket has been pretty much the only place we have been, other than our walks in the country, but we haven’t come into contact with anyone. You could think, ‘when and why?’, but the best thing is to be as sensible as possible now and listen to all the advice on what to do.
“It is frustrating, because I feel really good. The last week [at training] has been really tough and it is a shame to completely stop that, but you have to accept you have to do what is right for all the other boys and their families, so in the grand scheme of things, it will only be a week or two I am isolating for and I owe it to the club and the boys to do it properly and listen to the advice.”
And the Lilywhites’ No.20 says that the way training has been run, has meant he has kept away from everyone else and advises supporters to do the same in their normal routines.
“In training we have done everything socially distanced,” he continued. “Every drill has been designed to keep everyone apart, so the small groups we have been involved in, it shouldn’t affect them, so that is one of the positives of the way we have gone about things. We have done it right and hopefully it allows us to continue our training.
“I feel absolutely well, I haven’t shown any symptoms and everyone else out there has to listen to the advice given. Look at the credible sources; don’t let your mind wander and look at the negative things people say.
“Take it as it is, remember what you do can impact a lot of people. This has given it a sense of realism for me. I am the first person I know who has had it, but I am well and I want everyone to take care.”
The club have conducted 143 tests on players and staff at the Springfields training ground in the last ten days, with only Jayden returning a positive test, with a further round of testing due to take place on Monday ahead of training.