Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Sheffield Wednesday 1 Preston North End 0

30 January 2021

Match Reports

Sheffield Wednesday 1 Preston North End 0

30 January 2021

A goal in the last minute of the first half from Liam Palmer gave Sheffield Wednesday the points at Hillsborough.

Palmer fired home from close range from a long throw in from the right, against the run of play, and the Lilywhites were unable to get a goal to take something from the game.

Andrew Hughes, who was forced to pull out in the warm-up the previous Sunday, returned at left back, with new signing Greg Cunningham on the bench.

The game took 20 minutes to settle down, but when it did, it was the Lilywhites who dominated the play, with some good passing and plenty of the possession.

On 19 minutes, Ben Whiteman had a shot from 25 yards that was spilled by Keiren Westwood and the pressure continued, with Brad Potts bursting into box and seemingly brought down, Premier League match official André Marriner saying no to the vocal penalty shouts.

At the half's mid-point, Scott Sinclair sent Emil Riis away down the right-hand channel; the Dane got to the byline and pulled it back for a one-two with Sinclair, whose first-time shot was blocked by Tom Lees.

Eight minutes before half-time, Jayson Molumby saw a shot from 25 yards deflected wide after an excellent ball from Whiteman around the corner, freeing the Irishman into some space in the middle of the pitch.

But completely against the run of play in the last minute of the half, the Owls took the lead. A long throw from Callum Paterson was flicked on and headed down at the back post by Elias Kachunga, falling to Palmer, who fired into the net from eight yards out in a central position.

Westwood was needed again on 64 minutes to deny Potts from 25 yards after an excellent driving run forward by Ben Davies from the back for 50 yards, freeing the midfielder and allowing him the space to get the shot away.

A double change saw Daniel Johnson and Tom Barkhuizen brought on with 25 minutes left as the pressure built, and Whiteman had a gilt-edged chance for his first PNE goal after Molumby burst into the box and pulled it back from the on-running No.17, the midfielder shooting just over.

Barry Bannan had a good effort from the left corner of the penalty area with 18 minutes to go, but Daniel Iversen was up to the test, tipping the ball over for a corner, and from the resulting delivery, Davies was alert to clear off the line.

The chances continued to come, as Alan Browne’s cross was headed over by Sinclair, before Billy Bodin, Greg Cunningham and Joe Rafferty replaced Riis, Molumby and Hughes.

Only three minutes were added to the game, but the home side looked to run the clock down and slow the game down as much as possible, limiting the green’s chances to create anything, despite their best efforts and Wednesday took the points.

Sheffield Wednesday line-up: Westwood, Palmer, Paterson (Rhodes, 83), Hutchinson, Pelupessy, Bannan (c), Reach (Luongo, 80), Penney, Lees, Urhoghide, Kachunga (Windass, 72). Subs not used: Wildsmith, Harris, Marriott, Borner, Green, Dele-Bashiru, Rhodes.

PNE line-up: Iversen, Browne (c), Hughes (Cunningham, 78), Whiteman, Huntington, Davies, Sinclair, Ledson (Johnson, 67), Riis (Rafferty, 78), Molumby (Bodin, 78), Potts (Barkhuizen, 67). Subs not used: Hudson, Bayliss, Storey, Evans.

Referee: Mr A Marriner

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account