Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Cardiff City 2 PNE 1 AET

9 January 2022

Match Reports

Match Report: Cardiff City 2 PNE 1 AET

9 January 2022

A late Cardiff City goal in extra-time saw Preston North End knocked out in the third round of the Emirates FA Cup.

The home side had taken the lead shortly before half-time, with Isaak Davies beating Daniel Iversen in goal, but less than ten minutes into the second period, Daniel Johnson drew PNE level from the penalty spot.

It looked as though the game was going all the way to a penalty shootout, but a 116th-minute goal from substitute Mark Harris earned the Welsh side the victory.

Ryan Lowe made four changes from Monday’s victory over Stoke City, as in came Greg Cunningham, Ali McCann, Ryan Ledson and Sean Maguire in place of Andrew Hughes, Ben Whiteman, Alan Browne and Ched Evans.

PNE dominated all the early stages of the game, keeping the ball well and waiting patiently to create an opportunity, and that very nearly came when Ledson looked for Josh Earl at the back stick, but his shot was deflected wide.

Other than a Daniel Johnson effort struck wide of goal on 16 minutes, there were few chances of note in the next stages of the game.

That was until the 25-minute mark when Marlon Pack sent Davies through on goal after Emil Riis had lost the ball, but the young forward couldn’t find the target one-on-one with Daniel Iversen, sending it wide from inside the area.

Davies made no mistake three minutes before the break, though, as he made his way past Sepp van den Berg and Patrick Bauer to make it into the box, before slamming low through the legs of Iversen to break the deadlock.

North End were level soon into the second half, as a clever ball from Ledson found Maguire in a dangerous position, and defender Ciaron Brown mistimed his tackle inside the area to bring down the Irishman. Captain for the day Johnson stepped up to take the spot kick, staying cool to slot home to his left.

Maguire and McCann had half opportunities to win the game in 90 minutes for North End, but ultimately it was to go to extra-time.

Both sides had chances to go ahead in the opening period, firstly with Josh Earl volleying an effort wide, before Mark Harris looked for the far corner with a curling shot, only to be denied by a flying Iversen save.

Substitute Harris was heavily involved in the half hour of extra-time, firstly being denied by a brilliant flying save from Iversen, but there was nothing the Dane could do to keep him out as a cross four minutes from time found him just more than six yards out and he fired home.

Harris could have given his side a two-goal advantage with the last kick of the game as Cardiff broke free, but Iversen produced a big stop to keep the score at 2-1. 

Cardiff City line-up: Phillips; Brown (Harris, 68), Morrison, Nelson; Ng, Pack (Sang, 100), Vaulks, Colwill (Wintle, 75), Bagan; Davies (Evans, 90), Collins. Subs not used: Ratcliffe, McGuinness, Flint, Sang, Harris, King, Patten.

PNE line-up: Iversen; van den Berg, Bauer, Cunningham; Potts, Ledson (Whiteman, 80), Johnson (Browne, 104), McCann (Harrop, 80), Earl; Riis (Sinclair, 58), Maguire (Evans, 93). Subs not used: Hudson, Lindsay, Browne, Storey, Rafferty.

Referee: Mr A Woolmer.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account