Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: PNE 1 Burnley 1

13 September 2022

A goal from either side in the opening 15 minutes saw the points shared in the Lancashire derby between Preston North End and Burnley.

The Clarets took the lead just ten minutes in, with Taylor Harwood-Bellis heading home, before Jordan Storey did the same at the other end to level matters.

There was just one change made by Ryan Lowe for the first league meeting between the two sides since 2016, with Daniel Johnson coming in to replace Alan Browne.

Before the action got underway, the 20,000-plus crowd inside Deepdale paid their respects to Her late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, firstly with a minute's silence followed by a fantastic rendition of the national anthem by Russell Watson.

Early in the game, before getting on the scoresheet, Storey made a vital contribution defensively, throwing himself in front of Jay Rodriguez’s strike, with the forward having just Freddie Woodman to beat otherwise.

The visitors did take the lead, though, inside ten minutes, as a Josh Brownhill corner was met in the air by central defender Harwood-Bellis, who found the back of the net via the post.

North End had a quick response to the opener, with a set piece of their own proving valuable. Ben Whiteman’s corner was headed into the air by Brad Potts and, as goalkeeper Arijanet Muric slipped, Storey headed goalwards, and despite Josh Cullen’s attempts to clear off the line, the referee awarded the goal.

There wasn’t too much goalmouth action for the next stages of the game, before Burnley came close six minutes prior to half-time, as Connor Roberts flicked a header inches wide of goal on the end of Manuel Benson’s cross.

On the other side of the break, the lively Benson cut in on to his left foot to strike towards goal, but his effort dragged wide.

PNE had a half-chance on 63 minutes when the fall deflected kindly into the path of Robbie Brady inside the area, however, he couldn’t adjust his feet to direct a volley at goal.

North End switched it up with personnel in the second half – with Browne one of those to be introduced – and he tried an audacious effort on 81 minutes, chesting the ball before volleying goalwards in an attempt to catch Muric off guard, but the ‘keeper caught it comfortably enough.

The Irishman had a more presentable opportunity on 87 minutes, as a Ched Evans cross floated over the top of the Burnley defenders before reaching Browne, who perhaps wasn’t expecting it to drop to him, and his header was kept out by Muric.

Álvaro Fernández had the final chance of the game in the final minute of the 90, showing nice feet before striking at goal, however it was blocked on its way, and the match ended at 1-1.

PNE line-up: Woodman; Storey, Lindsay, Cunningham (Hughes, 64); Potts, Whiteman, McCann (Ledson, 45), Johnson (Evans, 80), Brady (Fernández, 64); Riis, Parrott (Browne, 72). Subs not used: Cornell, Maguire.

Burnley line-up: Muric; Roberts, Harwood-Bellis, Taylor (Beyer, 62), Vitinho; Cork, Cullen; Benson (Maatsen, 84), Brownhill, Tella (Zaroury, 73); Rodriguez. Subs not used: Peacock-Farrell, Barnes, Bastien, Dervisolu, Beyer.

Attendance: 20,212 (5,644 away fans)

Referee: Mr P Bankes.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account