Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: PNE 0 Hull City 0

2 March 2024

Match Reports

Match Report: PNE 0 Hull City 0

2 March 2024

Preston North End stretched the unbeaten run to seven Sky Bet Championship matches with a goalless draw at home to Hull City.

Both sides had chances to win it on the day, with Ben Whiteman and Liam Millar coming closest for North End in the second half.

The Tigers’ best chance of the afternoon came through Jaden Philogene, who was thwarted by Freddie Woodman, as the ‘keeper secured back-to-back clean sheets.


PNE were unchanged from last week’s victory over Coventry City and there was a nice moment ahead of kick-off as captain Alan Browne walked out wearing ear defenders alongside a young disabled supporter, on the club’s dedicated Unite For Access matchday.

North End started the game brightly and, in similar fashion to the victory over Ipswich Town last month, were pressing extremely high as the visitors looked to play out from the back.

It was the breathing on Hull necks that helped to create an opportunity in the sixth minute, when Alan Browne found Whiteman with a clever cutting pass, but the midfielder’s low effort didn’t cause goalkeeper Ryan Allsop great trouble.

Woodman’s first real involvement of the afternoon came in the 19th minute when he was required to dive to his left and tip Fabio Carvalho’s long-range strike wide.

The game was being played at a good pace and was end to end at times, albeit without any real clearcut opportunities being produced.


Jordan Storey did have a chance late in the half to send North End into the break with a lead, but his header on the end of Millar’s corner landed wide.

The best chance of the day yet came three minutes into the second period as Emil Riis this time nicked it on the press, and the home crowd were getting ready to celebrate until they saw Whiteman’s shot deflected just inches wide.

PNE were building a real period of pressure and felt like they should have had a penalty in the 51st minute as Jacob Greaves appeared to pull back Will Keane and deny him a tap-in, after Allsop had parried Riis’ low strike.

Hull managed to weather that North End storm and almost came out of it with a goal through Jaden Philogene, who showed good feet to cut inside, only for his low effort to be well saved by Woodman.


Ryan Lowe’s side kept looking to create as Ali McCann had a volley blocked at close range and Riis flicked a header wide, but the best of them all came in the 79th minute as Millar – just as he did on Boxing Day against Leeds United – bent a curling effort towards the far corner, only this time the goalkeeper tipped it to safety, and the points were shared.

PNE line-up: Woodman; Storey, Lindsay, Hughes; Browne, Whiteman, McCann, Millar; Frøkjær (Holmes, 68); Keane (Osmajić, 68), Riis. Subs not used: Cornell, Cunningham, Brady, Stewart, Ledson, Woodburn, Whatmough.

Hull City line-up: Allsop; Coyle, Jones, Greaves, Giles; Seri (Sharp, 77), Slater, Morton; Zaroury (Ömür, 65), Carvalho (Tufan, 86), Philogene. Subs not used: Pandur, McLoughlin, Docherty, Ohio, Jacob, Christie.

Attendance: 16,997 (2,416 Hull City fans).

Referee: Mr T Bramall.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account