Inclusion Manager Melissa Brown has devised a healthy pasta recipe that you can try out from home!
The recipe is made with participants of our FIT LILYWHITES in mind but anyone is able to give it a go.
The recipe can be used as a healthy alternative to buying a pasta sauce jar from a supermarket, which is able to be made quickly and easily, and lots of vegetables can be added in to bulk up the meal.
The FIT LILYWHITES programme is a 12-week fitness programme for men and women aged 35 to 65, encouraging them to lead a healthier and more active lifestyle.
Despite the current restrictions in place, meaning the programme is currently unable to run at Deepdale as would have been the case, we are continuing to recruit participants for the programme and you can register your interest by clicking here.
We also have our own Facebook group for the participants on the programme to interact in their own place, so once you have registered your interest and signed up we can invite you to join.
Please find a list of instructions and ingredients for Melissa's recipe below and most importantly, happy cooking!
😋 Want to try a simple but delicious recipe from home?#PNECET Inclusion Manager Melissa has cooked up a healthy pasta sauce recipe for #FITFANS to attempt! 🍝— Preston North End Community and Education Trust (@pnecommunity) April 30, 2020
Watch more below with all ingredients and instructions here ➡️ https://t.co/ITDEPgqt3c#StayHomeSaveLives #pnefc pic.twitter.com/reIKBHiQol
- One pack of cured meats
- One onion
- Four cloves of garlic
- Two tins of chopped tomatoes
- A spoonful of tomato puree
- A teaspoon of mixed herbs
Optional extra ingredients:
- 3oz pasta per person
- 12 mushrooms
- One red pepper
- One courgette
- 10 pitted green olives
- 10 pitted black olives
- A handful of spinach
- A teaspoon of oregano
- A teaspoon of chilli flakes
- Chop up your chosen vegetables. Melissa has started with mushrooms, courgette and red pepper.
- Chop your onions and garlic and heat olive oil in a large pan.
- Add the onions, cooking on a medium heat for five to six minutes until soft and brown.
- Add your other vegetables and cook on a medium heat for another five to six minutes until soft and brown.
- Melissa has added some spinach, stirring for two to three minutes, before adding the garlic and cooking for two minutes.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and tomato puree and then add mixed herbs… And chilli flakes, if you dare!
- Chop and add the cured meats. Melissa also adds olives at this stage.
- Turn down the heat to simmer and serve – with pasta, like Melissa, if you wish. Enjoy!